This is another follow-up to a project /u/noctyrnesaga and I have been working on.
My analysis of the BFV launch weapons can be found here.
This measures the time to kill of every gun in the BFV in frames (assuming 60Hz, one frame = 16.66ms), using 100,000 samples of 15 round bursts across a variety of ranges. If a gun does not have 15 rounds in the magazine, it assumes a burst length equal to magazine size.
How to read the charts, and other notes:
- The hitrater assumes perfect control of vertical recoil, aimed at center mass.
- Each picture has four charts are concatenated into one. The top two charts are for aimed down sights fire, and the bottom two are for hipfire.
- The left two charts measure the gun with full upgrades on the left side of the specialization tree (hipfire upgrades, rapid fire, etc.).
- The right two charts measure the gun with full upgrades on the right side of the specialization tree (ADS accuracy upgrades, etc.).
- FTK: Frames to kill. To get TTK (time to kill), just multiply numbers by 16.66. Represented in colors, designated on the right side.
: Expected frames to kill. A value factoring in average time to kill and the probability of the 15 round burst actually killing the target.
: Average frames to kill. A value that is the mean of all the instances where the gun actually killed.
- Frequency: The number of times a gun killed, out of 100,000 (100K).
- MMG (MG34, MG42) charts show zoomed bipod (ADS while bipoded) on the ADS charts, zoomed hipfire (hold RMB from the hip) on the hipfire charts. Unzoomed hipfire basically cannot kill at all, and is useless data.
- Important note: Overture charts compared to launch are not 1:1 for hipfire. Because 4BTK was only 9m long at launch, the range axis on hipfire charts was set to 8m, 11m, 15m, etc. Now that 4BTK was increased to 10m, the range axis is now set back to 5m, 10m, 15m, etc.
Personal thoughts and opinions about BFV guns, based off the Overture update:
Most of my opinions about guns from my previous post still stand.
- The StG and SG 1-5 are worth picking again, as they aren't trashed up close by other automatics by huge margins anymore. Assault rifles and LMGs still lose to SMGs up close, due to far inferior hipfire, but the 4BTK buff made this difference less binary. The 4BTK range in general is still too short, I will continue to recommend that DICE increases it further to 15m.
- Although the StG and SG 1-5 got good buffs and are decent picks, I still don't think they're worthwhile enough picks over the no spread semi autos unless you're
- SMGs got their 5BTK range increased from 25m to 30m, and SIPS was accordingly decreased from 0.25 to 0.225, in order to make hitrates within 30m more consistent.
- The KE7 nerf (+0.09 hrec) didn't really affect its <50m ability at all, but is tacking on ~150-300ms on its expected TTK between 50-100, and really nukes the rapid fire KE7's >100m capability. Accuracy-boosted KE7 is now a bunch more appealing pick, in my opinion.
- I nearly did a full 180 in my opinion on the MP34. The accuracy-boosted 514 RPM version is still bad at being an SMG, but is one of the best long range weapons in the game. Even though it drops to 7BTK at range and has a low rate of fire, you can beat assault rifles and LMGs at >50m and magdump it at all ranges. Its max spread (when stationary ADS firing) is similar to other guns' base spread, and this thing is a laser beam. The rapid fire 600 RPM version is a great versatility pick as well.
- The Sten is still technically a bad MP40 due to higher hrec, but its greater ease of use (less vrec) and decently higher velocity (more consistent to use at range) make it a viable pick now.
- The MG42 kind of falls apart after 50m due to high hrec, so the MG34 is a clearly superior ranged choice. Vickers (not analyzed) is probably the best pick for most scenarios.
- The M1907 nerf (+0.02 hrec) didn't affect it much. In fact, I think it's an even better pick now due to its recently buffed reload time.
- The M1 Carbine isn't that good. It's theoretically the best headshot skill cannon in the game, but it's only marginally better at it than the Turner (kills 2 frames faster with headshots than the Turner does with headshots), requires an impractical click rate for the vast majority of people in order to obtain optimal damage output, and is still worse than the Turner at everything but headshotting. Its capacity does allow for one more kill per mag compared to the Turner, but that's not a worthwhile enough advantage to make it a good pick against the Turner.
- The RSC is still a bad Autoloading 8.
- Semi-autos are still the best guns in the game.
- BFV's new spread system makes low RoF guns extremely good at magdumping.
- I've flip-flopped several times on my opinions regarding BFV's gunplay, and I have to conclude that I'm not a huge fan of the new spread system. It does not give much relevance for variable burst lengths and variable recovery times, and it does not sufficiently punish brainless methods of fire, like single tapping or magdumping.
My recommended picks:
- MP34 rapid fire (left tree) for versatility
- MP34 accuracy maxed (right tree) with high velocity bullets for range
- Thompson bigmag (right tree) for CQB hipfire
- Suomi rapid fire (left tree) for CQB 1v1 nuke
- Bren accuracy maxed (right tree) with high velocity bullets for range
- FG42 hipfire (left tree) for aggressive play
- KE7 accuracy maxed (right tree) for versatility
- MG42 rapid fire (left tree) for dolphin dive 1200 RPM nuking
- Vickers bigmag (right tree) for a versatile MMG
- MG34 bigmag (right tree) for camping inside rubble and nuking anything that moves at range
- M30 Drilling if you want to use a shotgun
- Turner SMLE hipfire (left tree) for most scenarios, since its hipfire is pretty competitive
- Gewehr 43 hipfire (left tree) for ranged use or a Turner alternative
- M1916 rapid fire (left tree) for pubstomping
- M1907 (either tree, left side for hipfire, right side for bigmag) for aggressive play
- StG-44 accuracy maxed (right tree) with high velocity bullets if you want a ranged automatic weapon
- Autoloading 8 rapid fire (left tree) for aggressive use
- Bolt actions (I'd recommend Krag) only if you're basically Stodeh, otherwise use ZH-29 rapid fire (left tree)
Feel free to ask me (or maybe /u/noctyrnesaga) about specialization tree and weapon balance or the charts.
Top-10 Best Video Games of 2018 So Far
2018 has been a stellar year for video game fans, and there's still more to come. The list for the Best Games of So Far!
Top-10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2019
With 2018 bringing such incredible titles to gaming, it's no wonder everyone's already looking forward to 2019's offerings. All the best new games slated for a 2019 release, fans all over the world want to dive into these anticipated games!