- Introduction: So as we all know Mario Kart is probably one of the most beloved and well-known franchises out there, I mean Deluxe is STILL to this day the best-selling Switch game of all time, selling about 30 million units worldwide. BUT I think I’d be lying to myself if I said I’m not desperate for a new Mario Kart game. We have Mario Kart Live Circuit and that other mobile game I refuse to mention, but seeing it’s been almost 7 years since the last mainline Mario Kart game
I think it is safe to say that it’s time we get a new Mario Kart game sometime soon. I’m gonna list a couple of my ideas/wishes for this potential new game. I am personally going to call this game Mario Kart X.
- Characters: To me an essential part of the MK franchise is definitely the characters, usually they get close to the same level of hype as the characters in Smash Bros. However, Mario Kart 8’s roster was… poorly received. Don’t get me wrong, it was a fine roster and it had the most characters out of any MK Game, but there were TOO MANY CLONE CHARACTERS, we had 5 babies, the 7 koopalings and eventually Bowser Jr. Pink Gold Peach, etc. So in this roster I want to include your very obvious characters and returning ones from past games, as well as some fresh, new characters that were either planned and scrapped or just absurd choices that just make sense in the context of the game. In total this game will have about 40 racers to pick from So without further ado, let’s begin with:
- The Starting Characters: Now I want this game to have as many unlockable content as possible so it doesn't feel like the game is dragging out. So for that to happen I’m going to be including only 12 characters for the first time you play the game. The picks are fairly obvious:
- Donkey Kong
- Baby Mario
- The Unlockable Characters: For this list I’m going to include characters that have already appeared in past Mario Kart games. That way we can avoid confusion when it comes to these kinds of characters and the new ones that haven’t been used. Also, I’m going to try my best to explain my reasoning as to why I included some of these characters, since I know some people are gonna disagree with my choices:
- Birdo: It’s been a while since we’ve seen Birdo, she used to be one of the traditional MK Racers since Double Dash, but they kinda just brushed her (Him? It?) aside. And I know a lot of people aren’t too fond of her character, but be honest with yourself, would you rather have Birdo or Pink Gold Peach? Exactly…
- Diddy Kong: Again, REALLY well known, but forgotten, he NEEDS to come back.
- Dry Bones
- Baby Luigi
- Baby Peach: I will only include Baby Mario, Luigi, and Peach. I feel like Nintendo is REALLY reliant on the babies for some reason. Only having these 3 is more than enough to represent what they represent.
- Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings: No, I am not including the Koopalings as separate characters. Kinda like Bowser Jr. in Smash Ultimate where instead of having color variations, his alternate costumes are just the other Koopalings, that way people who enjoy them won’t have to worry about them getting kicked out of the game.
- Funky Kong: He’s Funky Kong, What else do you want?
- Rosalina & Luma
- Wiggler: Again, a LOT of people don’t like this addition, but honestly, the decision is so dumb that it actually makes sense. Also shut up about Wiggler having arms, because this isn’t the first time he’s had arms. Look at Super Mario Sluggers.
- King Boo: The only change I would make would be giving his alternate costumes, in one we can have King Boo’s traditional look while the other one can give him the look from Luigi’s Mansion.
- Petey Piranha: He hasn’t been in any Mario Kart game since Double Dash, not even Tour, he HAS to make a return at some point.
- Dry Bowser
- Shy Guy
- Metal Mario: Yeah, I know it doesn’t make sense to add Metal Mario and Dry Bowser as characters when I just complained about clone characters, but to be honest, these two make an exception because they make sense in the Super Mario cannon. If they do use these characters as alternate costumes, I’d have no problem either way.
- The New Characters: These are the characters that haven’t appeared in ANY Mario Kart game, characters that were either scrapped or just random, fun picks I chose for the sake of variety. This might be the most controversial section of the characters category so like always this is just MY personal pick, If you want to share yours I’d be very happy to see them. I’m still going to explain my reasoning for most of these since some of them are *ahem* a little absurd, but just bare with me:
- Kamek: Kamek was planned for 2 games Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart 8. It is quite shocking that Nintendo has delayed the character’s debut in a Mario Kart game twice, so Kamek is a MUST.
- Pauline: With Pauline’s popularity rising since Odyssey, I think it’s safe to say that she will appear in the next Mario Kart, so she makes the list.
- Dr. E. Gadd: If I’m not mistaken, Dr E. Gadd was supposed to be in Mario Kart DS, but was eventually scrapped. With Nintendo purchasing the rights to Next Level Games Dr. E. Gadd HAS to make his debut in Mario Kart.
- Nabbit: Honestly, Kind of an odd choice but a LOT of people want Nabbit to be a part of Mario Kart and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense, so why not?
- King Bob-omb: Yeah, Yeah, He was in MKT but Tour doesn’t count as a mainline Mario Kart game. I don’t know why I decided to add him, I saw him in MKT and thought “yeah, that makes sense…” so he’s here now.
- Hammer Bro: A character that was supposed to be in Mario Kart Wii, but got replaced by Dead Turtle Guy. He eventually debuted in Tour, but just like every other MK game, It’s never good enough…
- Boom Boom/Pom Pom: They may not be the BIGGEST names in Nintendo, but in my opinion, they are good enough to make it to the roster.
- Pianta: We have always seen the Pianta as a side character or as part of the audience, but never anything more than that. Pianta has to be in the next Mario Kart.
- Goomba: They added him in Super Mario Party and he works just fine, so why not add him here? DON’T give him arms though, just have him use his legs or something.
- Paper Mario: Yes, this is the absurd choice I was talking about. My reasoning behind this is that Paper Mario isn’t really a clone character, he’s a 2D paper version of Mario, and yes that’s not good enough reasoning, I know, but like I said, I wanted to add as much variety as possible. We already have SNES Mario in MKT so the whole 2D character in a 3D game shouldn’t really be a problem.
- King K. Rool: We are closing off with a Donkey Kong character, why didn’t I choose Dixie Kong? Because we already have 3 DK characters that are Monkeys, so adding the bad guy from DK to the game instead of just another monkey makes the most sense.
So that'll be it for the characters section, if you made it this far then thank you because I spent a lot of time in this. What characters would you like to see? I'm actually interested. Tomorrow I'm going to talk about the items and what I would think is the best possible way to go about them. But until then, Good Bye 🙂
Source: Original link
© Post "My Pitch for a Mario Kart 9: Characters" for game Gaming News.
Top 10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2020
2020 will have something to satisfy classic and modern gamers alike. To be eligible for the list, the game must be confirmed for 2020, or there should be good reason to expect its release in that year. Therefore, upcoming games with a mere announcement and no discernible release date will not be included.
Top 15 NEW Games of 2020 [FIRST HALF]
2020 has a ton to look forward to...in the video gaming world. Here are fifteen games we're looking forward to in the first half of 2020.