Phalanx is a lost love for a lot of Crusader players (including me) and was one of the first skills you see as a big difference between D2 Paladin and D3 Crusader.
Unfortunately, after the Akkhan/Stampede meta (I don't even remember how long ago this was) it is a skill that doesn't do much, although it has 3 dedicated items to it.
Facts and specifics about the skill:
- Phalanx has 4 extremely distinct mechanics, which makes it difficult to balance between runes: (1)Bowmen, 2)Stampede/Shield Charge, 3) Shield bearer, 4) Bodyguard);
- Phalanx has 4 unique items that boost it and by Kanai's cube they are 2 weapons (Unrelenting Phalanx, Baleful Remnant), 1 armor (Warhelm of Kassar), 1 jewellry (Eternal Union);
- All runes are (at that time) physical.
- No 6-piece set mentions it exclusively (Like Blessed Hammer(SotL) , Fist of the Heavens/Heaven's Fury(AoV) , Shield Charge/Sweep Attack (Roland), Punish/Slash (Invoker), which would make it susceptible for a LoD build.
If we are to make it great again, my first note would be that it's bad to link it to a skill with a 60-120 seconds cooldown, without the opportunity to negate this cooldown. (We all hate long cooldowns)
Second, simply putting a +XXX% damage on 1-2 items would be boring, lazy and will ruin the diversity of the skill. (It definitely needs a damage boost, but simple numbers would be boring).
- Include the Bodyguard rune in one of the items, so even if you use Bowmen or Stampede, you get the 2 melee avatars beside you.
- Make melee avatars do something more interesting (cast a skill, provide utility/toughness, etc.)
- For me, it would be bad to just introduce a new item/new legendary power, solely to boost the skill, when it already has a good amount of legendaries, but including it in an already existing one would make more sense.
- Warhelm of Kassar: Reduces the cooldown and cost of Phalanx by 45-60% and increases the damage with the same amount. Phalanx receives the Bodyguard runeword.
- Unrelenting Phalanx: increases damage by 150-200% and moved into legendary power (up from 45-60%). Phalanx casts twice per use.
- Baleful Remnant – Enemies killed while any Law (before Akarat's Champion) is active, turn into Phalanx Avatars for 10 seconds.
- Armor of the King Reagent – You gain the effect of all Laws when activated. The equipped Law receives the effect of every rune. (I thought "king reagent" made more sense to have a power about "Laws" than Smite.
- Swiftmount – Doubles the duration of Steed Charge. Phalanx – Stampede deals double damage for 10 seconds after casting Steed Charge.
PHALANX AND FALLING SWORD
- Eternal Union – Duration of Phalanx is increased by 200% and while Phalanx is active Falling sword has no cooldown. Melee Avatars perform Falling sword with you. (Costs wrath for each Falling sword cast by the Phalanx also). I think it would be super awesome to be able to cast Falling sword as the Imperius drop in the campaign of act 5.
- Faithful Memory/Cam's Rebuttal – combined into 1 legendary: Falling sword can be cast a second time for free within 4 seconds. Each enemy hit increases the damage of Blessed Hammer and Phalanx by 60-80%. Stacks 10 times and lasts 10 seconds.
PHALANX AND SHIELD BASH
- Flail of the Ascended – Shield Glare deals damage equal to up to 5 last Shield Bash casts to each affected enemy. The two closest avatars to you cast Shield Bash and Shield Glare when you do.
- Angel Hair Braid – Punish gets the effect of every rune and every second attack releases a Shield Cross. (If combined with Flail of the Ascended, Avatars should shield bash too)
- Drakon's Lesson – When Shield Bash hits 3 or less enemies, its damage is increased by 300–400%. Shield Bash receives the effect of Pound rune (Shield cross should count only the front, in my opinion)
PHALANX AND BLESSED HAMMER
- Hammer Jammers – enemies hit by Blind, Immobilize, Freeze or Stun take 300-400% more damage from Blessed Hammers and Phalanx for 10 seconds.
- Blessed of Haull – Each successful hit of Justice also summons a free Blessed Hammer at the same location. Blessed hammer receives the Brute Force rune and chance to explode becomes 100%. (A way to proc Hammer Jammers from a distance, if you decide to do a Bowmen-Justice crusader)
Any feedback would be appreciated 🙂
Source: Original link
© Post "Make Phalanx great again!" for game Diablo 3.
Top 10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2020
2020 will have something to satisfy classic and modern gamers alike. To be eligible for the list, the game must be confirmed for 2020, or there should be good reason to expect its release in that year. Therefore, upcoming games with a mere announcement and no discernible release date will not be included.
Top 15 NEW Games of 2020 [FIRST HALF]
2020 has a ton to look forward to...in the video gaming world. Here are fifteen games we're looking forward to in the first half of 2020.