Since I started with FO76 (or even FO in general), its button maps have continued to surprise me in how mixed they are. Things like the ▢ square button doing completely opposite things depending on which similar menu you are in – drop or pickup, and worse it brings up an inventory dialog with a corpse, but is also reload. Frequently when in combat with ghouls flying right and left and I tap ▢ to reload, only to be given a choice of picking up a Pencil or Toothpaste. GAAAAAAA reload my
It did get me thinking, however, about the buttons, so I have cobbled together a mapping that could help immensely, with a minor amount of changes. I suggest having a completely alternate button scheme that you can toggle – I don’t expect the default mapping to change, as that would be too disruptive. And those who are fine with the mapping as it is now can keep it.
I know that the game offers some minor customizations of buttons, but what I’m talking about is contextual to a menu, it isn’t just changing which button generally does a thing.
Two principal problems:
▢ Square Button – Choose one behavior and keep it consistent with inventory menus, not a negative action (drop) or positive action (pickup all) depending on the menu context. It is probably the most disruptive thing I’ve found in the UX, I have to pause and think about which type of inventory menu I’m in… “am I in a pip-boy menu where it means drop?” .. or “view all” where it means pickup? It should universally behave the same, as a “negative” action (drop), since ✕ is the positive/pickup/activate button.
Switching Tabs – Menus and tabs are great, but please stay with one convention across all menus. Right now, it’s different between menu types, Pip-Boy is one way, Inventory another, and Perk cards yet another! There are many times I have been in the Pip-Boy and not thinking about it, hit L1 expecting the tab to shift, but instead, my CAMP pops out. Talk about embarrassing.
I suggest a standard:
- L1/R1 – Shift top tabs
- L-Arrow/R-Arrow – Shift second-level tabs
This has a cascading effect, of course, so I’ve highlighted in bold things that change within each dialog:
- L1/R1 – Shift top tabs (instead of L2/R2)
- L-Arrow/R-Arrow – Shift second-level tabs
- L2 – Move CAMP (or ideally, a completely different way to move it, as it's rare)
- R2 – Toggle Favorite on an item
- ✕ – Positive effect: Activate/Take/Select/Use/Move
- ▢ – Negative effect: Discard/Cancel/Deselect/Delete/Drop
- ◯ – Back out of the menu
- △ – Show Map – put it back so it is less painful to switch between fo4 and fo76
– Manage Perk cards– this is less frequently used than Jump to Map is (at least in my play), so flip
- Inventory Transfer (from a container to your inventory):
- L1/R1 – Shift top-level tabs
- L-Arrow/R-Arrow – Shift second-level tabs (the left/right windows)
- ✕ – Move One: move the selected item from one column to the other (left/right)
- ▢ – Negative effect: Discard/Drop – a new feature I’d LOVE to have, if not … then just nothing for square.
- △ – Store-all Junk: Move all junk from left to right, regardless of sub-tab
- L2 – Move All – everything in the selected category shifts left/right (new functionality)
- R2 – Move One (duplicate of ✕ for uniformity)
- Manage Perk Cards:
- L1/R1 – Shift top-level tabs (SPECIAL categories)
- U-Arrow/D-Arrow – move between up/down cards active on a SPECIAL
- L-Arrow/R-Arrow – move between inactive cards on a SPECIAL
- L2/R2 – Switch between Perk card loadouts – I WANT this feature
- CAMP construction (no changes)
- L1/R1 – Shift top-level tabs — Item categories
- Arrows – Move within categories of items (up/down, and left/right)
- Vendors – Same as inventory Transfer above, except:
- ▢ – Not cancel sale, but same as Inventory menu (drop)
- L2 – Cancel Sale (or R2)
- R2 – Change Price (of an existing on-sale item … I'm slipping this in because I just want it)
- ▢ is for reloading in combat … this is really a separate feature, but when in combat (WARNING/DANGER status) have it that the full-transfer dialog only opens on a press-and-hold action, so if you do tap ▢ in combat, it always reloads, even if you are pointing at a corpse. More time could be spent figuring out the keys to switch to if one wanted, for this, but it could stay as is without a huge impact, if the press-and-hold is made.
- R2 always scraps (currently only in crafting menu).
- Pull-and-hold R2 for scrap-all. This also has the mental connection that fits, as it’s the attack/trigger button (i.e. cause some havoc).
- So, I haven’t looked into this one, but follow the same convention where changes need to happen.
I offer this advice for free, so take it for everything you paid for it!
But seriously, can we have a different button map? (please)
Source: Original link
© Post "I don’t want toothpaste, I want to reload! – How the button-mapping can improve" for game Fallout.
Top 10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2020
2020 will have something to satisfy classic and modern gamers alike. To be eligible for the list, the game must be confirmed for 2020, or there should be good reason to expect its release in that year. Therefore, upcoming games with a mere announcement and no discernible release date will not be included.
Top 15 NEW Games of 2020 [FIRST HALF]
2020 has a ton to look forward to...in the video gaming world. Here are fifteen games we're looking forward to in the first half of 2020.