I purchased the game on sale exactly 3 weeks ago. Here are some of my thoughts, opinions, and possible fixes:
1) Trading – It's useless. I am PL38 at the moment, just about to enter Canny Valley. I have played a whole bunch in the last 3 weeks, and the thing I figured out was that trading is useless. The game is set up pretty logically with each "star" corresponding to a zone where the materials needed to craft them will drop pretty much in bulk. When I left Stonewood I had ~600 copper, as I am about to leave Plankerton I have ~800 silver. Trading is wholly unnecessary. That being said, people still want to do it, so, maybe they should implement an official trading system. The one I imagine involves a "right click" on someone's name (when in range and only during Stormshield non-defense) which will open a menu. Two things can happen on this menu. The first is one person can put an "item" in and the other person can "inspect" the item (durability, stars, perks, etc) as if it were in their inventory. Then, in response, the person can put their own stuff in. Then the first person "locks" the trade, meaning he can't alter his screen to remove/add more items. The second person then locks their items. There is a window where the second person can remove/alter/change his side, if that is unsatisfactory for the first person, they can "cancel" the trade at any point. Upon both players "locking" the trade, a final confirmation "accept" is made and if it goes well, the trade is made. The second function is that a player can drag/drop schematics into the trade window. When this is done, the second player is then given the option to add his own materials to the window. The player can choose "how many" he wants to create, and upon entering his materials, he can press the "craft" button and the other player will craft the items which will be automatically traded to the other player. Included in this menu will be a "tip" or "fee" for the crafter that they can charge, be it extra materials or whatever. This would eliminate all the "scammer get scammed" spam as it will be a double confirmation trade system that can't really be "scammed"
2) Upgrading Weapons – One of the main reasons I decided to leave Stonewood was that I unlocked the ability to level my Siegebreaker to 2 stars. Unbeknownst to me, that meant it no longer required the mats I had an abundance of and required mats I had very little of. This should be fixed or highlighted, perhaps in a literal popup window that lets players know. This will probably only be relevant to new players because making this mistake once will probably be enough. As it is, I have upgraded my three main weapons to 3star despite not being in Canny only because I have consistently found sturdy parts/malachite in level 40+ missions in Plank and have ~200 mal and 300 sturdy parts.
3) Global Chat Spam – The solution is actually simple. First: make player names different from text colors, IE, makes player names "yellow" or "green" and text white. When you "click" on a players name in chat, a context menu appears showing: PL, slotted class, and Epic name/etc, invite, block, mute. The player info is already available on Stormshield. The second thing you can do is "double click" their name and this will instantly mute them. Now, if Epic lets everyone know that everyone can double-click, or double tap, or whatever, peoples names they could then check to see metrics of that info. If 20 people in chat all mute the same person, it isn't a stretch of the imagination that the person being muted is probably a spammer. Idk how many people are in "chatrooms" at any given time, so maybe adjust that 20 up accordingly.
4) Collection Book – This thing is wonderful, however, one of the things that irk me is that the guns in there lack their description/flavor text which might outline how they work. Also, it should scale with quest progression. Given the immense cost of "researching" the schematic (a legendary is 100 flux, 100 magazines) these costs only affect new players. Every "old" player I have seen has literally millions of schematic XP and thousands of covers, but just getting started in the game and the cost being prohibitive really, especially when if I buy one know it will come out 1 star. Why not let it come out at whatever level we need or 1 star lower? IE: if you are in Plankerton you get a 2star weap, CV you get a 3star etc.
5) Mission length – One of my favorite missions currently are the "destroys the encampments" ones because, I can solo the 5 objective encampments and the 4 super encampments of a PL34/40 mission in around 15 minutes, with a buddy we can pound them out in ~7 minutes. This is ideal, and some of the objectives of other missions are decidedly longer for no real reason. Example, deliver the bomb. Why is it so friggin slow? The concept is cool but the thing is ridiculously slow AND on top of it being slow, afterward, you have to defend the launcher as well. To me, THAT should be the "meat" of the mission, not the 8 minutes of riding the bomb to the launcher. To me, the bomb should be faster and the enemy waves a little more aggressive (based on Plankerton experience, maybe it does get harder as you level?)
6) Reset Homebase – This thing would be amazing. Let us go to the storm shield and in the menu "destroy" our base, maybe refunding some of the materials used and traps, so we can rebuild. My Stonewood base is MASSIVE. For no reason. And it's all level 3 steel. It would take me hours to destroy it, but I would LOVE to redesign it. Would be a nice thing to be able to do that.
7) Party Privacy settings – Why is this tied to my ability to find people to play with exactly, especially if I select "play with others?" The storm shield "request help" thing should supersede your privacy settings, especially considering you might have BR friends trying to join your party and fu*king up stuff, things normally avoided by setting the party to private. Really annoying.
8) Separation of BR and STW (Keybinds, settings, etc) – Why do they overlap when, having played them both, they are VERY different games. They should have separate settings and keybinds as they are separate games.
9) Building consistency – In BR you can build anywhere, even if it clips in the ground. In STW it is way more finicky, but sometimes doesn't make sense. I can drop a wall over a stone wall and have that stone wall break instantly, but I can't drop a floor on top of a partially destroyed floor and break the last little bit that isn't destroyed. I can build "through" a car or RV or a tree, but not a slight incline? Maybe loosen up on some of the restrictions. I understand that some of them are needed for "balance" such as not being able to drop a full wall on a terrain ramp cause you could drop launcher trap, but some of the things just seem silly.
10) Weapon favoriting/queuing – One of the things that kind of annoys me is that when I break a gun, it will often choose a higher level gun in my inventory, or a launcher, instead of replacing the broken gun with the exact same weapon with full durability that I already have. Maybe allow us to "queue" weapons per slot, meaning, when that gun "breaks" the next gun in the queue will be equipped to that particular slot. It's minor, but it would be nifty.
That is all. So far I am enjoying STW more than I am BR, to the point where I bought STW for free VBucks and ended up spending the ~4800 VBucks I had earned on Smorgasbord Llamas and such. It's a great game, I hope they don't Paragon it.
© Post "Thoughts after playing for ~3 weeks" for game Fortnite.
Top-10 Best Video Games of 2018 So Far
2018 has been a stellar year for video game fans, and there's still more to come. The list for the Best Games of So Far!
Top-10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2019
With 2018 bringing such incredible titles to gaming, it's no wonder everyone's already looking forward to 2019's offerings. All the best new games slated for a 2019 release, fans all over the world want to dive into these anticipated games!