This was originally written as a
In general, -reeve at the end of a title is something of an honorary title granted to someone who is overseeing/leading something. An example is
1, or even
Bureaureeve (leader of a bureau — also called a magistrate) and
Tithereeve (tax collector). Kinreeves are not a thing as far as I am aware. More titles, big or small, can be browsed at the UESP wiki that includes all Altmer NPCs from ESO.
- King/Queen – the highest title.
- Prince/Princess – self explanatory.
- Proxy King/Queen –
a relative to the current ruler.
- (High) Kinlord/Kinlady – reserved to people who are
related to the royal family or who rule bits of
land/are local rulers.
3 It also applies to nobles.
2 In the old Ayleid days,
this title was used by leaders of clans.
- Canonreeve – heads of towns/cities or in general chief administrators of them. It is an official title given to diplomats and bureaucrats who administer to county seats. People outside of Summerset refer to Canonreeves as mayors.
4 Note how in the latter links they are referred to as "administrators". A member of the Thalmor,
Oraneth, was also a Canonreeve. Sigil pendants are used at times to recognise a symbol of office. Canonreeves are known to bear silken handkerchiefs with their arms embroidered into it. Silken parasols are another trademark item to be worn by Canonreeves.
- Vicereeve (Emissary?) – diplomats. Perhaps even the second in charge sort of folk after Canonreeves. It is likely that they wear this security pouch as well.
- Vicecanon – never elaborated upon. There are three of them, and all of them have their symbol of office on armbands. This may potentially be only an Ebonheart Pact related rank/title.
Aicantar – writer?
- Proctor – civil servant, officer of sorts.
Overseer – an Altmeri laborer.
Soothsayer – a person who predicts the future.
mentioned in unreleased ESO content for Summerset It is/was a term used to refer to the Soulshriven /someone being one.
- Optimate –
mentioned in unreleased ESO content for Summerset. A noble/aristocrat.
"And honor it is, according to the Queen. By her decree, all Numinous are awarded the status of Optimate, with access to the Mulberry and Turquoise districts of Alinor."
"Title and social status are of supreme importance to the Altmer! The Queen has granted all Numinous the noble title of "Optimate" – an honor indeed! You need defer to no one of lower status than a Kinlord."
"Beneath the Queen are the Kinlords and Kinladies. Next come Optimates, then Exultants, then commoners such as guards and artisans. The Ousters are pariahs, Altmer who have left or been banished from their Kinships. I pretend not to see them."
"Aren't Ousters forbidden from the Kinholds?"
"I'm an Ouster – you really should pretend not to see me, Optimate. But you're not quite like the others, are you?"
"Each great Kinhouse is home to an extended family of Altmer, a Kinship. For example, to the east of here is the Isquer Kinhouse, home of the Isquer Kinship. Kinlord Maldarawo, head of the Isquers, is the leading Altmer of his region."
- Discarnates and Aquifi are Daedric servants magically bound and used to do manual labor.
Mentioned in unreleased ESO content for Summerset
- Prime Battlereeve – perhaps a higher rank than Battlereeve? It is
- Battlereeve – military officers. They are not limited to generals, but still lead a portion of some organisation (eg First Auridon Marines). The explanation for them is somewhat obscure. 1
5 Furthermore, the following quote can be found from unreleased ESO content:
- Grand Warlord – perhaps a
pvp title only.
- Aldarch – head priests of monasteries, temples or shrines.
- Aldarch Protector –
Altmer soldiers protecting monks (at least in Shimmerene).
- Monastic – priests/monks. Keepers of sacred relics.
A sagely order considered by many to be Summerset's foremost scholars and finest magical minds.
Their titles are essentially based on if they are professors in any of the fields of study that they teach in.
Eg Professor of Applied Phrenology,
Sapiarch of Current Chronologies,
Sapiarch of Foreign Observations,
Master of Psychocartography,
Sapiarch of Arcanology,
Sapiarch of Artifice ,
Sapiarch of Aquatic Malevolence, Assistant Sapiarch of Altmeri Heritage, Artuudawen Thousand-Shoes, Sapiarch of Apparel Analysis, Sapiarch of Zoological Studies,
Sapiarch of Oceanic Occurrences,
Sapiarch of Oblivion Studies, etc etc.
The Divine Prosecution & Thalmor
"The Divine Prosecution serves as Summerset's premier lawkeepers. We enforce secular and religious law, making sure that all social and cultural rules are adhered to."
Considering the Divine Prosecution is
merely a division of the Thalmor, technically the same ranks could apply.
- Jurisreeve – lead investigators/detectives. 1
2 Sometimes referred to as High Eximiner? Jurisreeves
travel in groups of three and each of them hold different titles, such as the admanen to inspect and advice, the revelator-naganwe for magical inquiries and a thalmilan to parse the clues and render a verdict.
- (High) Magistrate – also called
Bureaureeve — essentially the leader of the bureau (obviously).
- Chief Justiciar – senior justiciars. I suppose they could be compared to chief police officers.
Police officers of sorts. Investigates criminal infractions and adjudicates legal disputes. They're judges in a way, and embody the righteousness of law. Civil servants. They have their own squads. If need be,
they expand their scope of duties when times require such.
- Bailiff –
essentially Justiciars but with less power. Sometimes they serve as guards for the royal family.
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9
- Prosecutor – some form of an officer.
2 Perhaps another title for Justiciars? There are no specification for it.
- Judicator – more of a civil servant role that may not be related to the Divine Prosecution.
- Quartermaster – supply officer.
A few good fanwritten threads on r/teslore may give further insights or ideas, such as…
- … An Analysis Of The Altmer Caste System In The Late 420's
- … The Political Situation Of The Summerset Isles In The Late 420's
Source: Original link
© Post "Altmer Titles and Their Significance" for game The Elder Scrolls.
Top 10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2020
2020 will have something to satisfy classic and modern gamers alike. To be eligible for the list, the game must be confirmed for 2020, or there should be good reason to expect its release in that year. Therefore, upcoming games with a mere announcement and no discernible release date will not be included.
Top 15 NEW Games of 2020 [FIRST HALF]
2020 has a ton to look forward to...in the video gaming world. Here are fifteen games we're looking forward to in the first half of 2020.