Starting at the beginning, the reason this event will fail without intervention is very low player engagement. That may be obvious but it actually much worse that that when you did further. Using stats taken from Braytech I will attempt to show highlight the issues behind this community event.
- Out of all 'active' players only
56.25% of players have actually claimed the Dawning ship. This is an indicator that the active player count is much lower lower than the total player count.
- Of the number of players who've claimed the Starfarer 7M only
65.42% (36.80 of total) have actually completed the ship upgrades. The upgrade path requires 175 Dawning Spirit and delivering a few specific cookies.
- The number of players who've delivered a cookie to each vendor is at
29.54% which is really a shame considering claiming each of those individual Triumphs awards extra Dawning Spirit. Between delivering the cookies, and claiming the triumphs you can almost fully upgrade the ship. Add in the weekly bounties and you're done with the ship.
- Lastly we have the Triumph for Delivering 250 Dawning Spirit. At the time of this post a meagre
1.31% of registered players have delivered 250 Dawning spirit. Given that Just having the ship equipped and playing the game will generate spirit this is where we see the biggest indicator of the issues with this event. Worth mentioning is even less people (0.83%) have managed to deliver the 120 cookies needed for the last triumph.
- Community Targets were likely based on, and tuned for a much larger player base than the actual active player count. It's also the holiday season. How many people are actually going to focus on grinding in Destiny when they've got family commitments?
- With bonus' from triumphs it's actually very easy to upgrade the ship but the grind for cookie materials is a bit harsh. A new player requires 300 Essence just to create one of each cookie type. That's ~19 Gambit matches or Wrathborn hunts for 20 cookies prior to masterworking. An increase in material drops is needed.
- Essential cookies materials don't drop from PvP kills. We know the PvP players have to be dragged kicking and screaming to do anything that requires PvE. I would be nice if kills with 'enemy themed' weapons produced enemy materials when getting kills. e.g. Chitin from sword kills or cabal oil from Leviathan/opulent weapons.
An extremely small fraction of the player base (~2.33%) is actually generating the majority of the community spirit ~98% of the total or higher. I don't have accurate figures for a corrected calculation.
The Larger player base isn't engaged enough due the a lackluster reward which we don't even know.
Even with the triple progress boost the 2.33% of players working overtime may barely make the target 1Billion spirit but they really shouldn't.
This is the second community event in 6 months which has been done in this style and both faced the certainty of failure without intervention from Bungie. This second event shows a failure to learn from the mistakes that were made previously.
Bungie plz. Destiny is not WoW. Please stop trying to make us open the gates to Ahn'Quiraj. The rewards simply aren't good enough.
PvP players aren't being engaged in the event.
Event targets are much too high.
People have lives outside of Destiny.
Any event relying on the participation of less than 3% of it's player base to complete is a complete failure. IMHO anybody who did not complete the 'Get in the Spirit' triumph should be ineligible for the rewards from the community event. This isn't a community. It's quite literally the reverse of capitalism. 'The 3%' working their asses off so the other 97% can reap the benefits.
I'm sorry it's not a very concise post but I think it holds some very relevant information that not everyone is aware of. Personally I've stopped farming spirit after hitting 3000. The rewards simply aren't worth the time put in to it.
Source: Original link
© Post "Dawning 2020, AKA “The Opening of the Gates of Ahn’Quiraj 2020 part 2”. Let’s objectively lay out why this is a failure of an event and lay down some way to improve." for game Destiny 2.
Top 10 Most Anticipated Video Games of 2020
2020 will have something to satisfy classic and modern gamers alike. To be eligible for the list, the game must be confirmed for 2020, or there should be good reason to expect its release in that year. Therefore, upcoming games with a mere announcement and no discernible release date will not be included.
Top 15 NEW Games of 2020 [FIRST HALF]
2020 has a ton to look forward to...in the video gaming world. Here are fifteen games we're looking forward to in the first half of 2020.